How To Get A One Year Sports Visa

How To Get A One Year Visa For Sport Reasons

Visa Conditions

The following establish the procedures & conditions for issuing visas to Idsoccer clients - footballers who are interested in participating in football trials or play in an amateur Greek club.

If you have ever wonder how to get a visa & enter Europe for sports reasons then this is for you. Here is what you can get:

a. one year national visa for Greece (type D | A.2.7) for intended stays on the territory of Greece up to one (1) year. Visa will authorize you to get:

a1. a residence permit in Greece up to one (1) year

a2. a playing card from an amateur Greek club up to one (1) year

All of us at IDSoccer Limited try to serve you in the best possible way every day, with your safety as a priority. Given the constantly changing circumstances brought about by the COVID - 19 pandemic, we advise you to adjust your flight schedule regularly, based on the travel restrictions imposed by the competent authorities.

Protocol For Air Arrivals

As travel restrictions between countries are constantly changing, we kindly advise you before planning your trip to check for any new changes or updates at your airline's website.

If you plan to visit Greece find out more at

How To Get A One Year National Visa (A.2.7)


All non EU players need a resident permit in order to play football in Greece. There are two different cases:

1. Professional football. Assuming that you entered Greece with a short stay visa C (called tourist visa, lasts maximum 90 days & you can visit Greece and other 25 Schengen area European countries) and a professional club wants you in their roster. The club will offer you a contract (meaning a job), pay all the expenses for your residence permit & after 3 - 4 days you will be one of their players. Nothing to discuss about it. You made it and your status would be professional. Congratulations!!!

2. Amateur and semi pro football. Assuming that you entered Greece with a short stay visa C and, through our trials, an amateur or a semi professional club wants you in their roster. Unfortunately, THEY CAN'T get you. According to immigration rules (as of July 20, 2021) you should enter Greece with a different type of visa. A long stay visa D (called national visa, lasts 1 year & you can ONLY visit Greece) which gives you the right to apply for a residence permit in Greece. Now, you have to go back to your country and apply for visa D or just abandon the case & go back home.

But what if you can get visa D & enter Greece? Then, semi professional and amateur clubs can sign a private agreement with you & get you a one year residence permit. Now you can play football in Greece.

Same rule applies for all footballers who are non-EU citizens & don't need a visa to enter Greece. For example, a Canadian or US citizen can enter Greece without a visa. He can't get a residence permit since he doesn't hold a valid visa D. He has to go back to his country & apply for visa D.

So, how can you choose the right type of visa?

The answer varies. Depends on your plans and goals. Let me help you on that:

1. If you are an academy or low league footballer it would be extremely difficult to find a professional club here. Most of the players in our trials are entering Greece with a visa D & don't risk.
1a. The advantage of visa D is that you can give your shot to a professional club trial while you have a plan B. To find a lower division club. If you can't make it in professional level.
1b. The disadvantage of visa D is that you cannot visit another EU country & find a club there. It is a national visa and limits you in Greece. But if you can get this visa, which leads you to a resident permit, then you can freely visit all European countries (NOT to play football there. Same rule apply at the destination country).

2. For those who want to enter Greece with a short stay visa C or don't need a visa at all, they have just one option. To succeed in professional level.
2a. The advantage of visa C is that you can visit another EU country & find a club there.
2b. The disadvantage of visa C is that you can give your shot ONLY to a professional club trial while you have NO plan B. A lower division club can not get you, if you can't make it in professional level.

A piece of advice: Before entering Greece you have to decide which visa type fits your needs. Think wise before any action. Bad decisions cost time (which is precious in football) and money.

Trial Registration & Payment

You can register by filling online registration forms, depending on your nationality which you can find at the trials webpage or by sending at your:

1. CV (with video links if possible),
2. passport,
3. receipt of payment of the visa processing & trial fee,

Since we don't know if you will get a visa to enter Greece or not, during the football trials online registration we will ask you to pay in advance a visa processing fee depending on your visa type. Only if you get your visa you will proceed with the balance payment of the trial fee.

Once we receive your funds we will start the visa procedure.

Be careful. This advance payment is NOT REFUNDABLE in visa refusal.

Important: The club has the right to refuse you due to your age, nationality, CV or any other reason. In that case we will not accept any kind of payment from your side. If you have already transferred funds to us we will refund you in 100%.

Required Steps Concerning National Visa

Player's Required Documents:

1. A valid passport - Please make sure that your passport will be valid three (3) months after the date you exit Greece,

2. One color photograph (2x2 inches) - Please note that it must be glued on the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected,

3. Application form for National Visa properly filled – you can get it from a Greek embassy website,

4. A medical fitness certificate certifying that the applicant is free of any disease capable of putting public health at risk, according to the international standards and the World Health Organization, as well as of other contagious, infectious or parasitic diseases which would require the adoption of public health protection measures,

5. A covid-19 vaccination certificate,

6. National criminal record check - current month,

7. Birth certificate,

8. 220 US dollars/euro in cash – visa application fee paid at the embassy,

Important: Medical certificate, birth certificate and criminal record should be stamped by your country’s ministry of foreign affairs.

Greece’s Bilateral Relations Website

Club’s Provided Documents

For type visa A.2.7 (article 17, par. A of the Law 4251/2014) you will also need (the amateur club will provide these documents after your payment):

9. A stamped copy of the written agreement of cooperation for transcription of an athlete at amateur club notarized

10. Approval of the Greek Sports Federation of this sport, stating that the athlete has the right to join the power of the Sports Association of that sport.

Starting Visa D Procedure

1. The first day pay the visa fees (4,000 euro) to Idsoccer Limited:

Account holder: Idsoccer Limited
Company number: 12697241,
Registered office address: 63-66 Hatton Gardens, Fifth Floor, Suite 23, Holborn, London, England, EC1N 8LE,
IBAN: BE92967114300823,
BANK NAME: TransferWise Europe SA,
Bank Address: Avenue Marnix 13-17, Brussels, 1000, Belgium).

In order to fill the required information in your contract we would like to also have the following information from your part:

a) your full name,
b) your mother’s full name,
c) your father’s full name

Once we have this information we will send you a filled copy of an amateur's club contract in Greek and English language to your email.

The same day print, sign and validate your signature in 4 copies of the Greek and 2 copies of the English version of the private agreement with the Greek amateur club.

The same day mail all copies to Greece:

Full name: Kanakis Grigorios,
Address: Vliha village, 85107 Lindos,
City: Rhodes island,
Country: Greece.

2. The second day Collect all documents 1 – 7 from the above list or any additional documents asked by the Greek consulate in your country. Book a flight (DO NOT pay yet).

3. Once we have your payment and the contracts we will sign them, validate the signature and forward them to the Greek Football Federation.

4. If the Greek Football Federation approves your contract they will get in touch with the Greek embassy and email them the signed and stamped contracts & the approval.

5. Now it is time to go to the embassy and deposit the original documents (1 – 7) for a validity check. If your documents are genuine and pass the validity check you can apply for visa.

6. If you get your visa it is time to pay the trial fee (2.000 euro).

7. When you will arrive in Greece we will immediately gather all the required documents (in 4-5 days) for your resident permit and help you to apply for it. Once you have it we can issue you a playing card with Elafia Rhodes FC or other amateur club in 2 weeks time. You will be eligible to play in Greece only if you have this card in hand.

Important: All fees paid to us, the embassy and any third party like lawyer, public notary, hospital, insurance, ministry of foreign affairs etc. are not refundable. A visa denial means a huge loss of money and time by your side.